19 January 2011

A long December

A very very belated happy new year from Vancouver!

DSCF7545

Sometimes it seems like all the fun of one year is packed within one month: Sinterklaas, Christmas and New Years! Together with lots of snow (some in the city but mostly on the mountains), friends’ visiting and the busiest time of the year at work.. it was a hell of a month! As you can see :)

DSCF7433DSCF7410DSCF7423

And besides playing in the snow in the city…

IMG_3357

we also enjoyed the almost 3 meters of powder on the local mountains a few times!

And ofcourse there was an hilarious Sinterklaas celebration, in which especially the guys put the most effort! Dino had made a robot-Sint for Tom, Tom had made a campground for Dino, Bibi had made a sleeping Tessa in the version of a Barbie (because I always sleep so much!), and I DSCF7482had made here a “box of quality time” with nice relax goodies. Together with all the traditional Sinterklaas songs, candy (thanks to my work neighbours) and hot chocolate, we managed to bring the Dutch spirit all across the ocean! And yes, also Bibi and I were joking how we are turning into those patriotic immigrants we used to laugh about in New Zealand! Oh god, soon we’ll want to join the Dutch Coffee Club (no joke!) and have IMG_3351“koffie met gebak” with all the old Dutch ladies!

Also Christmas was a great time, with our pretty tree, many gluhweins, DSCF7501visiting the “authentic” Christmas Market, lots and lots of presents (I got so spoiled!) and a delicious home-made dinner with good friends.
Unfortunately new years was a bit of a let down because Canadians have fireworks for any random holiday but do not think its necessary to use them to ring in the new year.. but it was a good party nevertheless!

And now its all back to the normal life, without much snow but mostly rain and no holidays to brighten the dark days… But it’s time to start welcoming the first signs of spring, spent time with friends, try not to spend money on all the great sales, catch up on movies and new music, work lots and hopefully plan some great trips for spring and summer. Eventhough I’m living in a great place, I can’t help but dream about all the new destinations I can explore next… you know me ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment