12 March 2011

Choices, choices, choices…


“Success is yours if you continue on the path you have chosen”

That’s is what my fortune cookie tells me… but how do I find out what my path is? All my life my path has been shown to me, by my parents, school and university. And now when in it finally up to me to make my own life choices, I am lost! I know I am not the only one struggling with this “quarter life crisis” as it is called these days.. even the dictionary can tell me that it “usually occurs sometime in your twenties, a few years out of school and still feel as though you're waiting for you're life to begin”. My thoughts exactly! But why doesn’t it tell me how to handle it? I want everything and I want it now! But how?

In the last few weeks I’ve been on a crazy job hunt for a last attempt to get a full-time tourism job to renew my visa in September, before the visa quota runs out. I’ve managed to score some interviews after Tom helped to Tessa-lize my resume, but unfortunately I did not get selected Sad smile. So off to plan B, which is working all the way until September, put all our stuff in storage, and pack our backpacks on and fly off to low-budget heaven South East Asia to hide out for a few months until I can come back to start the crazy job hunt all over again for a visa for next year. But the next question, what to do for the next 5 months? Stay at my work where I earn decent money and have a good time or leave the city , my job, house and boyfriend to find work somewhere in summer tourism? Of course, with all my indecision I’m driving my boss up the wall and so she’s driving me up the wall to stop doubting and make a choice. Aargh but the tourism jobs only just started with their hiring process it is a tough call. Should I risk it or should I not? Choices, choices, choices…

So that’s what has been going on in my mind lately. But ofcourse also more fun things have been happening! Tom and I went to Whistler for a day of fresh powder snowboarding! After boarding at the local mountains, the size of Whistler is pretty overwhelming and we didn’t do any run twice!

HPIM4384HPIM4391HPIM4396

The morning after we hopped on the ferry for a few days in Victoria! And what a nice town that it Smile since Tom and I had already been there some times before, we spent some time time discovering the ocean side and new coffeeshops and Victorian houses. I just love all the older buildings as Vancouver is lacking a bit in that department. Just sitting in a coffee shop with beautiful brick walls, wooden floors and high ceilings just make me miss Europe so much! Ah well, you always appreciate things more when you’re not there anyway. When I would be in Europe I’m sure I’ll miss the mountains, the rugged ocean side and relaxed and conscious West Coast living (oh hey I already did!). Home is where the heart is -they say, and at this moment my heart is here! Do not worry, I’ll be back one day to catch up on my portion of culture!! But for now, a trip to Victoria every once and a while will do!

Our B&BDSCF7733DSCF7727DSCF7739

1 comment:

  1. Hee lieverd! Wat een moeilijke dingen allemaal zeg! Kan me voorstellen dat je hier echt gek van wordt! Lastig hoor! weet je inmiddels al iets meer? En hoe zit het met jullie ' leven in frankrijk' plannen? daar heb ik je nl ook weleens over gehoord...Balen dat het niet echt wil lukken met je jobhunt! Ik duim voor je! Kun je echt niet weer bij je stage adres terecht, ondanks dat die niet de voorkeur heeft? Dan heb je iig wel een baan in je vakgebied en dan ben je er straks niet te lang uit geweest zegmaar. Als ik iets voor je kan doen, dan weet je me te vinden!! Denk aan je meisje, Dikke kus!

    ReplyDelete