After one and a half months back in the city, it feels like I never have left and I often forget that I am all the way on the other side of the world… only to be reminded by one of the thousands of (not very hard to miss) bright red and white maple leaf flags that are visible from nearly every single spot in the city. Speaking English has become so common that I have trouble speaking Dutch to strangers and translating words to Tom. But don’t worry, I won’t lose my roots! Living abroad only makes your own culture more interesting. Watching “De wereld draait door” online, seeing Dutch bikes (which are sooo expensive here) and buying drop in the the Dutch Girl Chocolate store next to my work have never been so exiting
. And Bibi and I will be celebrating Sinterklaas with ours guys, including the poems, ‘surprises’ and pepernoten!
Now about my job! As you already figured, I could stay… and have been really enjoying the few days I’ve worked so far! It’s not like any other store where you just have to say hi and bye and sit around all day. It’s very sales oriented and I really have to talk with the people about what they want and suggest items that fit to their wishes. All the stuff in the store is so nice and I’ve already had it that I sold something with pain in my heart because I actually wanted to have it… even though I know it’s better this way since I have to be making money and not be spending it.
My boss is a very nice woman and the other girls in the store are great too! So I really think I can stay here for a while!
And now about the good old weather! Unfortunately, after enjoying some very generous warm autumn days (see first photo) the weather now has changed to wind, rain and coldness. But the cold also brings the amazing colours of the autumn leafs! Our street is filled with red maple trees (now I know why they’re worth being the national symbol!) and other yellow and orange coloured trees. So together with my amazing new blue vintage cruiser bike and camera I’m going around the city to capture all the greatness before it’s gone.
No comments:
Post a Comment